Fictional Online Game Company: Empire X
1) To start with, I played around with various simple arrangements of the name, before moving on to more in-depth logo design.
2) I decided that a simple arrangement of left-to-right was the best fit, and tested out a couple of different typographical styles. I feel the type on the left here is the strongest and most distinct of the two. My version of EmpireX often makes games with a sort of medieval fantasy setting, and I feel the type here fits that theme. I considered the idea of having a shortened version of the name as E-X Games, but ultimately felt that sticking with EmpireX was best.
3.) I also considered incorporating castle imagery into the logo, to fit the theme of their usual games as well as to evoke the image of an empire. I toyed with that and a few other symbols before moving on to the next idea.
4) I thought the crown imagery was a good fit for a company called EmpireX, evoking the image of an empire similarly to the castle imagery. Ultimately the logo design I'm leaning towards now is a font similar to the one I decided in section 2 with a crown above it as in this section.
One of EmpireX's most popular game series is called Quest Hunters. Quest Hunters is a game series meant to be partially a deconstruction of medieval fantasy RPG tropes while also being an involved fantasy RPG in its own right. The setting is in a fantasy world that was once a fairly typical medieval fantasy RPG world, but has had many years pass since that era. The time period is roughly equivalent to our industrial revolution, or a bit beyond it. The world still has monsters, magic, and some medieval-style weaponry, architecture, and fashion. But technology and society has advanced since the strictly medieval period. There are more modern urban areas now, a greater number of firearms, trains, steamships, etc.
Modern society has changed adventuring. It's been capitalized on, and now adventurers are more like entertainers than heroes. Wannabe adventurers join/form parties and get sponsors, and functionally act as local monster hunters and treasure hunters. The best, or most popular, parties get sponsored for national or even global quests. Beneath all of this light-hearted take on adventuring, however, lies a darkness most people ignore. Questing is dangerous, many people die while seeking fame and glory. And many disillusioned parties turn to mercenary work and pirating when sponsorships don't work out.
Heroes of Haven is the first in the series, and centers around a young idealistic boy seeking adventure paired with an older man much more cynical about adventuring after a long life in it. The two end up in a party together, and end up on a global quest typical of RPGs, but with more than a few bumps along the way. The game is an action RPG that can be played in single-player, offline co-op, or online co-op with up to 4 players. Players can play online as any member of the party in the story quest and side quests, or similarly join the party in offline splitscreen mode.
1) Though I tested out a few different concepts, I really like the first one I made the most. It definitely needs some cleaning up, but I like the simplicity of the font for the series title here. The boxed "Q" could act as a shorthand logo of sorts, as well. Looking at it now, I think I might make the series title a bit smaller to bring more focus to the game title, though.
2) I tried out a logo with a more medieval look to it, but still felt the first logo was stronger.
3) I considered adding a sun logo into the title, and went through a few iterations of this before abandoning it. It wouldn't really be relevant to the series at all, and I liked the aesthetics of the boxed "Q" more.
4) I tried out an idea similar to the first one, but with a shield in place of the box.
ShadowRise is another popular EmpireX game, unrelated to the Quest Hunters series. This game is set in a fantasy world, but one centered entirely around magic. Think Harry Potter, though a bit darker, and the whole world(rather than just a secret part of it) is magic. ShadowRise is a 1st-person magic game. The mechanics are similar to a 1st-person shooter, but the player uses magic rather than guns. Sorceries, spells, summons, and enchantments of all sorts can be used by the player using a wand, a staff, spellbooks, or even their own hands, depending on playstyle/character class. There is a greater focus on stealth than in most shooters, though. The game features a single-player campaign with optional offline or online co-op, as well as competitive online multiplayer.
1) I wanted to go with a font with sharper points for this game, as this game is intended to be quite a bit thematically darker than Quest Hunters. I felt that this title logo accomplished this, but I continued testing other ideas anyway.
2) I added more points and edges to this one, but I really liked that the first one had a curvy flow to it in addition to the sharp points.
3) A variation on the previous one.
4) The eclipse is an important plot point in the game, so I wanted to incorporate an eclipse into the logo.
5) A combination of the font from section 1 and an eclipse. This is the one I'm most likely going to stick with.
6) A variation on the previous two concepts.



No comments:
Post a Comment